Information and communications technologies
Parent Declaration: LS Van Dyk Primary
I understand that our school is supporting students as they learn the skills required to become successful cyber participants. Our school defines a cyber participant as someone who:
- Is a confident and capable user of ICT
- Uses technologies to participate in educational, cultural, and economic activities
- Uses and develops critical thinking skills in cyberspace
- Is literate in the language, symbols, and texts of digital technologies
- Is aware of ICT challenges and can manage them effectively
- Uses ICT to relate to others in positive, meaningful ways
- Demonstrates honesty and integrity in their use of ICT
- Respects the concepts of privacy and freedom of speech in a digital world
- Contributes and actively promotes the values of cyber technology
I understand that our school has protocols and procedures which outline the schools use of cyber technology and how this supports teaching and learning. *[These documents are available on the school website/on request/at the school office]
I understand that the school provides access to the internet and communications technologies because it believes that they enhance the teaching and learning process.
I understand that the school encourages responsible behaviour by students when using technology to help protect themselves and each other from experiencing harm online. I am aware that this “Responsible Use Agreement” is part of that, and that it encourages learners to consider how their actions can affect themselves and those around them.
I have read the learner declaration and have spoken with my child about what it means to them. I am happy that my child understands what it means and that they can work within the guidelines.
I am aware that learners can experience challenges when using technology, but that the school make every effort to support students to manage those challenges effectively. I understand that by learning to deal with them in a safe environment and with the appropriate support they will be better prepared to deal with those challenges in the future.
If I have questions or concerns about the way in which technology is being used by my child at school, I know the school is happy to discuss this with me and I am aware that I am welcome to do so at any time.
Parents Name: ________________Parents/Guardian signature _________________
Child’s name: ____________________ Date of birth: _________________________
* This declaration will be applicable for as long as the above-mentioned child is a learner at LS Van Dyk